Friday, October 8, 2010

Welcome to: The future. No, wait, now it's the present. Damn.

"Cease to inquire what the future has in store, and take as a gift whatever the day brings forth."

- Horace


“I like men who have a future and women who have a past”

- Oscar Wild


It's rather an abstract thing, the future. We imagine it time and time again, and rarely - if ever - does it look or feel anything like what we dreamed up. Example: I recall a 5 mile run one morning in Los Angeles, along the singletrack trails in Elysian Park, hovering about 100 feet above the 5 Interstate Freeway, when Annie and I just found out her job was allowing us move to Portland.

As I scrambled along - filled with soaring joy and utter terror - images of what our future held began to flash: Possible friends without faces, jobs without locations, "whos, whats and whens" all flashing in my mind's eye. But never, ever could I have imagined the reality of what is now the present; with all of it's wonderment and constantly shifting strangeness.

So now, I have completely embarked on a new leg of this journey, starting with this here blog, and the (STILL AWAITING THE CONCLUSION TO, RUSS!) Western States piece I've recorded and am now editing. The next step: An ultra podcast, co-hosted with my buddy Gary and recorded/engineered by my dear friend, Carl (hereafter referred to as "Carl The Mailman, or "CTM").

I'm usually an overly-cautious creative guy (ask me about the 8 years it took to write a novel, or the collection of short stories that I've been threatening to self-publish for 6 years), but I figured, sometimes, you've just got to say "what the fuck."



"Remember that quote, from the movie I was in before I attacked Oprah on her couch?"


CTM and I headed downtown yesterday to check out mixing boards and scored one for hella cheap (kids' talk for "incredibly inexpensive"), and Monday evening, CTM on the board, Gary and I will lay down our first of - hopefully many - podcasts on ultra running.

I'm leaking this info to titillate my small pool of ultra running readers. I'm not certain of a launch date, but I know it's just around the bend, an arm's length into the future.

I'm not sure where this might lead me, but I know it's a half mile in the right direction. That's the best part about the future: It's up to us to form it.

5 comments:

chris mcpeake said...

looking forward to the podcast

fatozzig said...

Woo hoo! Boy am I looking forward to that! Please keep up posted.

And you just love to drag out the drama, don't you?

Gary Vale said...

You just can't escape the present no matter how hard you try! And boy do we all try.

Speaking of the future... Looking forward to the next podcast. It's gonna rock!

Carl The Mailman said...

Is this where I leave a comment?

rustyboy said...

No Carl, it is not.